I remember my days when i used to have the slowest connection earth, i know how i spent those 6 months. Having a slow internet connection is the most irritating thing a internet addict like me or you can face. When you enter the site you want to visit your request moves to the DNS server which locates the site and then delivers it to you. I have previously given a small idea on what is DNS in some of my previous posts.
DNS stands for Domain Name System it is a naming system for websites, computers connected to a network and other resources. for easy understanding you can consider it as an internet phonebook or translator which translates website URL or hostnames into IP addresses.
IP addresses make it easy for the machines to locate any machine anywhere in the world. We find number difficult than text but you know about machines numbers are more informative. Each website has its own IP address which helps your compute to locate the website.
Now what can Google do about it?
Your DNS provider is not a lot different from that of Google but the difference here is, Google Public DNS is a lot faster which will increase your site loading time as it will make it easy for you to locate the website thus the site loads faster. some benefits of using Gogle Public DNS are-
- Faster Internet
- Spam filtering
- Security benefits
- Enhanced performance of Internet browsing
- No page loading issues due to DNS
How can you use Google Public DNS?
in the lines below we will discuss the whole process of changing your DNS provider with Google Public DNS. You will just change the DNS server locations to the IP adresses of the Google public DNS servers.
Now let us start with using Google Public DNS in your Windows Operating System. below tutorial is only for Windows vista / 7 / 8
- The first thing you need to know is go to your control panel.
- Now follow the path in the next step. “>>” denotes click on
- Network and Internet >> Network and Sharing Center >> Change Adapter Settings
- In this step you will have to select the type of connection you have. Local Area Network or Wireless Network, just select your type and click on properties.
- In the properties window click on the Networking tab and change the setup for your IP version 4 or 6 or both of them together.
- To define the settings for TCP/IPv4
- Select the TCP/IPv4 and then select ‘Properties’.
- Select ‘Use the following DNS server address’ and select ‘Advanced’
- Go to the DNS tab and see if there are any previously defined DNS servers. If there are then remove all them and if there are not any pre-defined servers then just cancel the window.
- Enter the I.P mentioned below for ‘Preferred DNS server’ and the ‘Alternate DNS server’ respectively and click on OK.
- I.P. For Google Public DNS are: 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
- select the TCP/IPv6 and then click on “Properties”. Tick the “Use the following DNS server address” and then “Advanced”.
- same as before see if there are any DNS server addresses defined or not in the DNS tab. If you see any defined DNS servers then select them all and click on the “Remove” option. If there are none present, then close the window.
- Once you have done this, enter the amounts for the “Preferred DNS server” and “Alternate DNS server” and click OK
- The amounts are, (copy and paste them without any error)
2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 respectively.